Spring is right around the corner, which means that it’s time to take advantage of pumpkin season before it comes to an end.
Since this is a very versatile and delicious fruit that’s also full of fiber, it’s no surprise that this time of the year you can find pumpkin spice everything no matter where you look.
Lattes, cakes, pies, soups, you name it! But watch out… Many of the pumpkin based “foods” you find at restaurants and cafés are full of sugar so your best bet is to play in the kitchen and recreate your favorite treats at home. This way you can use high quality ingredients providing your body with the nutrients it deserves.
I created this recipe with the idea of a smoothie but it turned out more like a parfait. It has a delicious double crust that adds some extra sweetness to the mix compensating for the tartness of the yogurt… Just perfect!
Serves: 2 Prep Time: 10 min. Cooking time: - Total: 10 min.
- 8 pitted dates
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 (15Oz.) can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup culinary coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom
- 1 cup unsweetened plain coconut yogurt
- In a food processor or high speed blender chop and mix the dates, almonds and walnuts. This is your pie crust.
- Blend the pumpkin pure with the coconut milk, coconut sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Serve in 2 glasses and layer as followed: pie crust, pumpkin mix, coconut yogurt, pie crust, pumpkin mix, coconut yogurt. Then top it off with your favorite superfoods (pictured: cacao nibs and almonds)