Have you ever imagined the texture, smell and flavor of a dish and then when you take a bite it’s a complete different thing? Well, that’s what happened with these carrot cake squares.
I was going for a traditional carrot cake. I pulled it out of the oven and it looked beautiful but when I cut it the texture was just something else. This baked surprise turned out to be an even better version of the traditional dessert!
That’s what I enjoy about experimenting in the kitchen. I love substituting traditional ingredients for healthier ones that I believe could work and more than once I’ve been happily surprised!
Bobby and I absolutely loved the chewy texture and smooth sweet taste… I have to confess that we ate the whole thing in 24 hours!
I hope you enjoy my healthy gluten free vegan Chewy Carrot Cake Squares and if you make them at home let me know your thoughts in the comment section below!
Serves: 8-12 Prep Time: 20 min. Cooking time: 40 min. Total: 60 min.
- 3 carrots
- 1/2 cups coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 1 tsp. aluminum free baking powder
- Zest of a lemon
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3/4 cups filtered water
- In a small container combine the water and the chia seeds and let it sit for at least 5 min. This is going to be your egg replacement.
- Wash and grate the carrots.
- In a high speed blender or with a mixer combine the carrots with the oil and chia seed-water mix.
- Then add the sugar, flour, baking powder and lemon zest and keep mixing until well combined.
- Add the batter in a cake pan previously greased with a touch of coconut oil.
- Bake in the oven at 345F for 40 min.
- Remove the cake from the oven and wait until it's at room temperature before taking it out of the pan.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!