Last summer I went to Colombia to spend some time taking care of my nieces. On my flight down there I was making a mental list of some activities that we could do together and cooking rapidly became a priority, of course.
I asked them what they wanted to bake and they said cupcakes. I wanted to create an easy, fun, healthy and delicious recipe. Something that they’d enjoy making but also love eating and this recipe was born.
This time around I decided to make it a full size cake and it was a total success… It was gone in 36 hours! I assure you that your entire family will love this guilt-free dessert!
Serves: 8-10 Prep Time: 15 min. Cooking time: 1 hour Total: 1 h. 10 min.
- 2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 4 tbsp. chia seeds
- 4 tbsp. ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 3 tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 1/8 cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp. coconut sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- With a handheld or stand mixer combine the dry ingredients (sugar, flower, baking powder, chia seeds, flax seeds, salt and cacao).
- Then add the wet ingredients and keep mixing until everything is well combined (almond milk, coconut oil, vanilla extract).
- Add the mix to a 9” cake pan and press it with a spoon until it's all even.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- For the frosting melt in a pan the coconut oil, add the cacao and sugar and mix well.
- Let the cake cool down for about 30 min. hour before flipping it over, add the frosting and enjoy!