Getting to the starting line injury-free can be a challenge, but staying healthy after completing a race can be even more difficult.
That’s why I want to share with you my tips for a speedy recovery after participating in a challenging race. You can apply these tips after running any race in which you are making a big effort and going for longer than you usually do. A full marathon is what challenges my body but for others it could be a 10k, half marathon, ultramarathons, triathlons, etc.
Apply these after a big race and within a week your legs should feel like nothing happened!
- Right after finishing your race: Stretch!
- Within 30 min. of crossing the finish line: have a protein and carb rich snack.
- Two to five hours later: take an ice bath.
- The next day: move! Go for a walk, bike ride or whatever you enjoy.
- Three days later: get a deep-tissue massage. This will be money well spent, trust me!
- During the week after your race: practice yoga and cross-train (bike, swim, walk). Focus on eating healthy foods, keep stretching and take a couple of Epsom salt baths.
Let your body talk to you. Listen. Be present and aware.
You’ve already accomplished your goal so now it’s time to care of your body. If you follow the steps above, you’ll feel strong and ready to hit the pavement sooner than later!
P.S. My next marathon will be the Savannah Rock ‘n’ Roll! If you want to join the fun use the code TRENDYSMOOTHIE at checkout and get $15 off your registration!