Have you noticed how lately you can find fresh cherries at every grocery store? That means they're in season!
Cherries are one of those fruits that are very special because they're hard to find year round. I've realized that when I love something that I can only get for a specific period of time I want it even more... Can anyone else relate?
This recipe is not your traditional chocolate cherry cookie recipe. I use fresh fruit instead of dried to take advantage of all the benefits that cherries provide. They are packed with antioxidants, reduce inflammation, support healthy sleep, can reduce fat and much more! Combine this with some delicious dark chocolate and oats and the result is a good-for-you treat that'll make your tummy jump of joy!
Serves: 15 cookies Prep Time: 20 min. Cooking Time: 15 min. Total: 35 min.
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 3 tbsp. filtered water
- 1 cup fresh cherries
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 tsp. aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup high quality chopped dark chocolate (Santosha raw chocolate is my fave)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Soak the chia seeds in the water for 5+ min.
- Cut the cherries to get rid of the pits.
- Blend the cherry flesh.
- In the same blender or in a mixer combine the blended cherries with the sugar.
- Add the soaked chia seeds and vanilla and keep mixing.
- Add the flour, oats, baking powder and salt and mix well.
- Add the chocolate chunks and stir up with a spoon.
- In a non-stick baking sheet start adding the mix 1 tbsp. at a time making round shapes.
- Bake for 15 min.
- Let the cookies cool down for 5+ min. before enjoying.